Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Unfortunate Incident

First of all, I'd like to say that there are no pictures to accompany this post. You can all thank me now. I've mentioned that there was an unfortunate incident with Wild Man and some candy while we were on vacation and the sad truth is that it was 100% my fault. (Wait a second, technically the Working Man (WM) bought that candy. We'll go with 99.99999% my fault) It started out innocently enough. On the way to Houston on Friday we stopped at a gas station, and WM came back to the car with a box of chocolate covered mint candies. Just a small treat for us to share with the boy while we were on vacation. We didn't know what Wild Man would think about the mint flavor, but he seemed to really enjoy the few pieces we gave him that evening.
On the following day, we arrived at the acquarium early because we wanted to secure tickets for the "penguin experience" and they are sold on a first come, first served basis. So, after we bought our tickets and toured the acquarium we still had several hours to kill before it was time to mingle with penguins. I suggested that we drive over to another area of the island to visit a few stores and maybe let the Wild Man catch a power nap in his carseat. When we went to get in the car I somehow ended up holding that box of candy while trying to wrangle Wild Man into his seat. It wasn't working, so I set the candy on the back dash area to free up my hands for child wrangling. (You now all know where this is going) We then got into the car and made the 15 minute drive across the island, nothing but the sounds of silence from the backseat. We parked and exited our vehicle, WM went to pay for our parking and I opened up the back to get Wild Man out. The following are my thoughts as they occurred, in sequence, as best as I can remember...
"What?"
"Oh no! He threw up, poor baby!"
"Wait a second...What is that??!!"
"Its chocolate... Where did he get chocolate??!!!"
"AAAAAAAAGHHHHH...NOOOOOO, the candy!!!!!!"
Friends, he ate about half a good size box of chocoate mint candy. Except for the few pieces that he sat on and melted into his carseat (his new carseat) and the one piece I found later in his diaper. He threw up again on our return to the acquarium, and remained a rather unpleasant shade of green for several hours.  It kind of spoiled his mood and enjoyment of the penguin meet and greet.
Valuable lessons were learned from the unfortunate incident
1. Wild Man learned that a few chocolates are yummy. But 20 chocolates consumed in the span of about five minutes, is too many. (I might benefit from this lesson also)
2. I learned that when I have to choose which to secure in my vehicle first, the child or the candy, choose  the candy. Every time.
3. The Working Man learned that my memory cannot be trusted with mundane, yet important details.

No comments:

Post a Comment